16 October 2008

Oh the Laughter

Every Thursday morning I'm on duty. I have to be at school earlier than usual and I watch and mingle with the kids. When I was new I found it kinda awkward but now I look forward to it! I get to spend extra time with them and watch them interact with each other. I also get to know the kids from the other classes better.

This morning A* (not his real name) was playing tic-tac-toe. A has [high end] ASD and he doesn't really show much emotion except grinning from ear to ear when doing stuff he loves like listening to music, dancing, computer or movies. Anyways, he was playing with the other kids and then he asked me to play with him. He was just learning how to play it and I was teaching him that if he saw his opponent having two x's or O's in a row he must block it.

The part that really made my day was when he LAUGHED. That's right he laughed, really laughed. He tried brushing my hand away when he saw I was going to win because he forgot to block me and when I put that winning X he shouted "oooh no!" and laughed. Almost 6 months being his teacher and only now I've seen him laugh. Even the other teachers turned their heads to look. I've always seen him smiling his smile but today was the first time I really heard him laugh. What can I say it just made me so happy to be able to see that side of him.

You might not understand how someone's ability to laugh could be so amazing. In my short time of working here I've learnt that we take many simple things for granted but this was one of the most memorable moments I've had here in The Village - I just had to share it.

1 comment:

RJ said...

i am absolutely touched, really. it's so satisfying noh? when you're helping other people and they benefit from your help. you inspire me ate lerie. really. (:
keep up the good work nah? pen gum lung jai hai!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...