29 October 2008

As Simple As That

As some of you might know I am teaching drama class. I just so happened to be the available one to teach. =)

In the beginning I was really stressed about it. But now things are getting better. I used to dread going to the classes but now I'm actually looking forward to it.

I learned a lesson from myself. Never give up- just try and try until you find a solution. So yeah, now things are going pretty smoothly in both my drama classes.

I like to try to make it intersting for my kids, especially the older ones. So I try to think of some activity they'll like. Today I felt like I ran out of ideas and I went to class thinking that maybe they'll have a boring day today.

But then the kids started suggesting some games we could play. We started off with one game then other students started giving out more ideas. These were the games we played (from what I can recall):

Whoever makes a noise first loses.
Whoever moves first loses.
Whoever smiles first loses.
Whoever laughs first loses.
Whoever blinks first loses.
Whoever breaths first loses.
Who can say the names of bands the most in 1 minute.
Who can say the names of authors the most in 1 minute.

So you see I didn't have to look so far for ideas. The kids are full of them and if they came up with it and its what they enjoy you're in for a great ride in that class.

I was also able to see a whole new side of these kids. For example I have a student who can hold his breath for 1 minute and 4o seconds. Another students who can list 35 band names in 1 minute and also another student who can keep a straight face even though everyone around him is smiling. I could see everyone of them enjoyed and everyone were able to take part despite their differences.

Just the other day I was asking myself if special education is really what I want to do. And now today I have gotten the reassurance that I'm on the right path.

2 comments:

RJ said...

(: sounds so fun!!

Khanh Hoang said...

We should ask MC to offer Methods of teaching Drama in curriculum! ^^ I sometimes run out of idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...