15 October 2008

Blog Action Day 08 - Poverty

Well, it's Blog Action Day already.
I don't really know what to write about poverty.
All I know and can imagine is that poverty is a miserable thing.
I mean my being "broke" is nothing compared to someone living in poverty.

Here in Bangkok you can see poverty wherever you go.
Slum areas under the bridge.
Individuals sleeping on benches or on the sidewalk.
Beggars on every corner.


Just in front of my work place there are around 4 or 5 homeless men.
Their hair is long, dirty and tangled up.
They where the same old torn and dusty clothes.
They have no shoes and they look like, and probably haven't, taken a shower in years.

I saw a man like that this morning at the bus stop I got off.
He had like a green basket and I could see some bowls in it.
I also remember seeing a lady carry a big tattered plastic bag with clothes and bowls and plastic stuff in it.
I was thinking to myself that was probably all they have. Those things in a plastic bag are all they own. Things that we probably would call junk is so precious to them. It was kinda hard to imagine considering their only property could fit in one of my drawers.

These people are everywhere if we only notice. The next two pictures are taken a few seconds away from my work place and home.




So I'm glad something is done in this world to raise awareness. I was happy to read on the blog action day this passage:

What Can One Person Do?

Poverty is not only a pressing issue, it is a complex one. It's easy to think that there isn’t much an individual can do. Fortunately this isn’t the case at all. With activities ranging from advocacy and professional contribution to charity and financing, there is in fact many ways that we can act.


I'm sure God is working through many people around the world, stirring the hearts of those who have the ability and resources to do so. As for me...let's see what I can do...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...